Poppy Barley only works with factories that meet our standards for ethical production.
We certify our factories every two years.
- Human Rights
- The Factories can not: use child labour, forced / slave labour, or trafficked, and illegal labour.
- The Factories MUST: provide freedom of movement, freedom to unionize, freedom of association, freedom of egress, and the right to terminate their employment contract.
- Health & Safety - We ensure:
- The buildings are structurally sound, have clear, unblocked fire exits and equipment.
- Use and dispose of any hazardous materials correctly.
- Adequate schedule for machine maintenance.
- Appropriate insurance and accident record for the past five years.
- Sufficient washroom facilities and drinking water.
- There must be equal pay for equal work and no discrimination based on someone’s gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, political opinion, social group, pregnancy status or ethnic origin.
- A Living Wage, Benefits & Secure Employment
- Each factory must pay a living wage earned in a maximum of 48 hours of work per week.
- We ensure the majority of artisans have full-time, permanent employment contracts and are salaried (instead of paid by piece).
- Employees are offered health care benefits.
We build long-term, direct relationships with our factory partners to provide consistent work.