What a week! We came off very busy pop-up sales in Calgary and St. Albert last weekend (it was lovely to meet you all!) to the madness and fun of Edmonton Startup Week.
Edmonton Startup Week
is an annual celebration of our growing start-up community and is packed with great events and speakers. This week, we were inspired by:
- The stories of Maura Rodgers (VP Marketing, Perch) and Joanne Fedeyko (Executive Director, C100) and the Women who Launch event Monday night,
Tim O’Shea and Rich Maloy of Colorado Tuesday morning on how to build start-up communities (We also connected over men’s shoes with Tim who we discovered travels with a shoe polishing kit – the true mark of a man who loves shoes.)
- Listening to Canadian serial entrepreneur and prolific angel Dan Martell who was authentic, engaging, and very helpful. His passion for helping entrepreneurs led him to launch Clarity – which provides on-demand advice for entrepreneurs. Highly recommend you check it out.
- The crowd and companies at Launch Party, which annually showcases Edmonton’s hottest 10 new companies. (Poppy Barley launched at the 2012 Launch Party.) We learned from OMx about what your urine reveals about your wellness (answer: a lot!), connected with Pogo CarShare about launching a local car-sharing service and played math games with TeachMe.
Special thanks to our developer Daelan
for representing Poppy Barley past 9:30 pm each night this week when the rest of us were lame and went to bed (or in my case home to watch Homeland.)
Caroline & Monica took some time off this week to welcome their new niece Emma! (For those of us holding down the fort it meant stumbling through their jobs and realizing (again) how talented they are.)
We’ve changed the way we’re shipping so now most packages are coming to our Edmonton office and we are personally labeling them and shipping them out. So if you wondering where your boots are they might be with Monica:
Lastly, if you missed the results of our men’s survey check them out here
Next up for Poppy Barley:
- We’ll be in Red Deer at Muse Clothing for a pop-up on November 1st. Secure your appointment here
- This burgundy boot is our next limited – coming in November.
Finally – it was a hard week for Canada. Our thoughts and prayers are with Ottawa, Corporal Cirillo and his family, and national hero Kevin Vickers.
Cool blogs Poppy Barley were featured in this week:
What we’re reading / watching:
Daelan said he was too busy being fun to read / watch anything this week
Have a great weekend! (Raking!)
Full list of Edmonton's 10 hottest start-ups:
- MADSOFT Games.)