Junior Technical Designer
Poppy Barley WARESPACE (Edmonton) / Product / Full-Time
About Poppy Barley
Poppy Barley is a Canadian B Corp rethinking the fashion industry by putting design, people and
the planet first. By ethically-crafting footwear, accessories and home goods, we are pushing the
boundaries on a new era of luxury (and having a lot of fun along the way!)
Reporting to the Senior Designer, the Junior Technical Designer will work closely with the Designer and Product team in reviewing preliminary designs through to production of the collection. They will review a series of prototypes and pre-production Samples as they relate to the initial designs and fit sessions and clearly communicate with suppliers from initial samples to final production.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Designer to create technical packages for initial sampling with the factory including materials, key measurements and any other technical construction details.
- Track and update sample tracking sheet when samples arrive to ensure timely delivery and product is on schedule.
- Review and measure samples upon arrival to ensure that they are in line with the tech package and have all design elements before fitting.
- Attend Fitting Sessions to review styles on the foot - take notes from fittings and translate into sample worksheets to clearly communicate necessary changes to the factory for the next sample or approve for production.
- Ensure continuity of fit for the designated category, making sure all samples fit the standard sizes appropriately for the design, ensuring that expectations for footwear fit and construction are clearly communicated.
- Engage in active problem solving with overseas vendors, providing solutions & clarity to ensure timely delivery of samples and bulk production.
- Establish and maintain respectful and meaningful relationships with factories and artisans.
- Review Pre-Production samples against approved proto samples and approved materials to confirm that all final components are to spec before going into production.
- Track and follow up on returns and quality issues to ensure continuous product improvement.
- Quality Control of production once it is delivered, communicate any major issues to the factory.
- Order Photo Shoot samples track to ensure timely delivery.
Key Performance Indicators
- Agile individuals, who are able to adapt and problem solve with changing priorities and production challenges.
- Observant, analytical thinkers who can ensure that the best products make it to market.
- Collaborative team players with clear communication skills, who build relationships easily with co-workers and factories.
- Passion for ethical and sustainable production is key.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in fashion design/costume design/garment construction/Industrial Design.
- 2+ years of experience in apparel development/sourcing/design.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator required, Google programs such as Google Sheets, Google Docs, Gmail an asset.
- Understanding of leather, footwear and accessory testing will be an asset.
- Residence in or willing to relocate to Edmonton, and able to travel internationally up to 4 weeks per year.
- Must be fully vaccinated, as described by the Federal government, with a COVID-19 vaccine series.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, passionate and able to work to deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong and clear communications skills. Spanish language is an asset.
- Participation in a extended health and dental benefits package.
- Employer RRSP matching, up to $10,000 per year.
- Hybrid (home/office) work schedule and flexibility in hours.
- Strict COVID safetey protocols in place with a focus foremost on the safety of our team.
- Discounts on our awesome product.
- Great co-workers, a fun working environment and opportunity for growth within the
How to Apply
To submit an application email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We are excited to meet you!
We thank all applications for taking the time to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.