1. We traveled to the Poppy Barley studios in León, Mexico, to finalize our S/S '13 Flats Collection and interview our artisans. (Read our Total Manufacturing Transparency Promise for more.) 2. We also took time to develop our F/W '13 Heeled Boots Collection and pulled some inspiration from this gorgeous high-heeled boot was made by our pattern maker, Manuel, 35 years ago.
3. León by night: our hotel, Nueva Estancia. 4. Colourful streets in the city of León.
5. Justine selecting our leather colours for Fall. 6. Lunch in León's city centre with Laura, our Operations Manager.
7. Head-shots at the office! In the land of the electronic, we love polaroids. 8. Our new Poppy Barley packaging arrives.
9. It's a grueling process, choosing our leathers... 10. Samples of our Spring/Summer ballet flats arrive. Pictured: The Feminine Slipper in Robin Egg and Black Python with Gold Fox Hardware.
9. Caroline, our Community Manager, receives her size 12 shoes! (...just kidding!) 10. Have you heard? We make boots for NFL cheerleaders! Keely from the St. Louis Rams cheerleading squad (and a former cheerleader herself) came up to Edmonton for a visit, and of course we asked her to teach us a Rams routine. P.S. You can meet the cheerleading team and catch a Rams game if you contribute to our Alberta BoostR campaign!
11. Breanne at our S/S '13 Flats Collection Launch party we hosted at The Bamboo Ballroom in June. 12. A customer shares her customized flats on Instagram: The Feminine Slipper in Robin Egg and Metallic Gold, accessorized with Gold Snake Hardware.
13. Team photo shoot with Harvey Miedreich. Our co-founder Justine is in the spotlight. 14. Stylist Lazina from LSquared Style models her boots for us!
15. Naming our new boot styles and Fall leather colours over 1/2 price wine at Mercer Tavern. 16. Our made to measure shoes for wide feet, narrow feet, big feet and small feet.
17. Kassandra of fashion blog Kastles styles the shoot with clothing from The Bamboo Ballroom. 18. Edmonton wedding planning guru Jennifer of Jennifer Bergman Weddings models The Modern Mary-Jane in Metallic Gold and Black Python.
19. Erika & Jennifer look cute on the set of our summery S/S '13 Flats Collection Lookbook shoot. 20. Jennifer takes a nap.
21. Melanie of fashion blog BornLippy does a style post in her gorgeous new smoking slipper flats. 22. Another customer shares a photo of her Feminine Slippers in Peony on Instagram.
23. Amy, our first-ever customer, wears The Classic Point in Essential Black around Amsterdam. 24. A shoe-in: Poppy Barley founders Kendall & Justine Barber are featured in Metro News.
25. Bright yellow canola fields and big blue Alberta skies en route to Calgary for the Accelerate Alberta Conference. Read about how we did in Accelerate's Dragon's Den PR Pitch in this Alberta Venture blog post. (Spoiler alert: we won!). 26. Have you been following along with our Alberta BoostR campaign? Our goal was to raise $10,000 in 45 days for our F/W '13 Heeled Boots Collection. We've just passed $25,000 with 3 days left! And we're still giving away amazing rewards. Check it out!
27. Breanne and Monica at the official Accelerate Alberta afterparty during the Calgary Stampede. We had a major dance party with the rest of the StartUp Edmonton crowd at the Cowboys Tent! 28. While in Calgary for the Accelerate AB conference, we went out for an unreal dinner at Market, a new restaurant on 17th Ave. The bathrooms had chalk and chalkboards, and we have an amazing line of made to measure shoes, so we did some guerrilla marketing. Our little secret!