Who’s walking around in Poppy Barley shoes? Here, we spend 5 minutes with our customers to find out who they are and what they do.
OccupationDean of the Alberta School of Business at the University of Alberta
Poppy Barley style(s) I own:The Calgary Wingtip in Black Calf and Tan Calf
Describe a typical work day for you.
- I like to start with a gym workout, not always done
- I often have a breakfast meeting - but most of the day is in meetings
- I often have lunch and sometimes dinner out – so I appreciate being home for dinner with my wife when that happens
- So, in sum: lots of meetings – but mostly with interesting people (students, colleagues, leaders outside U) and on interesting issues
What is the most rewarding part of being the Dean of the Alberta School of Business?Engaging with students – bright, articulate and energetic.
What are three key attributes one needs to be successful in business?
- The ability to see the big picture and not get bogged down in details – i.e. see and develop strategy
- The ability to execute on big and small things – i.e. strategy, and the important details
- The ability to listen – to clients, colleagues, etc. There is always something to learn and you don’t learn if you don’t listen to others.