12-month contract to permanent
January 15, 2018
ABOUT POPPY BARLEY
After a light bulb moment at a custom boot shop in Bali, sisters Justine and Kendall Barber launched Poppy Barley in 2012. They travelled from their home in Edmonton, Canada, to the city of León, Mexico, in search of a leather shoe factory that prioritized its people and could offer flexibility in sizing and inventory through small-batch manufacturing. With teams in Mexico and Canada, Poppy Barley began producing polished, everyday essential footwear and chic, functional accessories for thousands of customers across North America, and, in the process, became the first company in North America to offer calf-fitted fashion boots online.
Since 2012, Poppy Barley has grown its online audience to 65,000 people (and counting) and has appeared in both national and international news outlets, including the Marilyn Denis Show, the Globe & Mail, and Refinery29. In August 2017, with popups happening nationwide, the company moved to open a permanent, 1,000 square foot flagship store in Southgate Centre, recently named one of the top five malls in Canada. And, in Fall 2017, Poppy Barley won Canada Post’s “Best Marketing and Brand Engagement Award” in a category with Best Buy and Mountain Equipment Co-op.
Dedicated to rethinking every step of the leather goods industry, we’re looking for creative, enthusiastic, big-thinkers to take Poppy Barley’s omni-channel brand from good to great, and continue the rapid growth (plus, have a little fun along the way)!
As Community Manager, you will be focused on building the Poppy Barley community through a variety of marketing strategies, including content creation (copywriting and photography), social media, events, and PR. You will play an integral role in the success of the company by sharing the Poppy Barley story daily, and reporting to a team of exceptional, committed colleagues at head office (including Poppy Barley’s co-founders, design and development team, marketing team and Brand Concierge). In addition to communicating with customers and associates, you will also play an integral role in developing the community of Poppy Barley’s Southgate Flagship by managing the store’s in-house marketing team.
About What You Do:
- Content creation –
- Copywriting and content planning for web, product, bi-weekly newsletters, major communications materials, and social media channels. Liaise with product development, design and web teams to stay up-to-date on all product, features and collections.
- Photography – Working closely with the design team, you’ll produce and assist with creative direction for campaign and product shoots. You’ll also be responsible for sourcing photos to support online content (magazine, popups, profiles etc.). Personal photography skills considered a major asset.
- Social media marketing – Creating, managing and growing the company’s presence through Instagram/Stories, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and other strategically relevant online properties.
- Events and event planning – Attending industry events in Edmonton and other relevant markets (often outside of 9-5 hours) and planning meetups, launch parties, press events, etc. for Poppy Barley’s communities. Travel may be required.
- Public relations –
- Pitching and managing incoming media requests (interviews, copy, and/or photography) and building relationships with industry journalists.
- Seeding product to select journalists and influencers.
- Creating, executing and measuring media campaigns.
- Working closely with the popup team to build awareness in new markets.
- Previous experience in PR considered a major asset.
- Communications/marketing strategy – Responsible for creating strategic quarterly marketing/communications plans to provide direction for the company’s public-facing communications.
- Analytics – Using Google Analytics and other measurement tools to provide reports on weekly metrics, including web traffic, referrals, behaviours and social media growth. Strive to improve metrics through every marketing initiative.
- Business development – Building partnerships and relationships with outside stakeholders to propel the company into new markets, including applying for awards; fielding incoming email requests; pitching the team to speak at conferences; and managing charity partners.
- Customer relations – Offering customer support on Poppy Barley’s public and private social media messaging by managing online feedback, interacting with customers, and answering questions; directing customers to the Brand Concierge when required.
- Maintain brand voice at all times and nurture the online community by continuously creating new and noteworthy brand experiences that demonstrate a commitment to “rethinking retail”.
- Support business, brand, culture and people growth, that results in driving top line sales.
- Model the company culture, and exemplify our shared values on a day-to-day basis, including building enduring relationships and representing the Poppy Barley brand at all times.
- Maximize company sales growth and profitability by supporting the online, popup and flagship team to deliver the Poppy Barley brand experience to every customer, every time.
- Maintain an awareness of all product information and status, marketing initiatives, outreach strategies and communicate all pertinent information to team associates.
- Work closely with the Southgate marketing team, product development team, design and web team, and senior management daily to streamline communications and brand messaging, proactively problem solve, and ensure all facets of your marketing initiatives are firing.
- Work with the manager to develop a thorough understanding of the marketing budget.
- Other projects, duties and assignments as required. Poppy Barley is a close-knit start-up and we all do a little bit of everything!
If this sounds interesting to you (and we hope it does) we are looking for a candidate with the following skills and personal attributes:
- Completion of postsecondary education in English, creative writing, communications, journalism, publishing, public relations, marketing, or other relevant field.
- Minimum 2-3 years of social media experience, with an understanding of a variety of social media channels and applications.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), Google Drive applications, Dropbox, Trello, Basecamp etc.
- Experience in PR considered an asset.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Creative writer—enthusiastic and passionate about storytelling.
- Visual—an eye for photography, fashion and great design. Personal photography skills considered a major asset.
- Social—you love attending events, supporting other businesses and initiatives, and building buzz.
- Connector—you connect the dots between people, businesses and ideas to develop compelling campaigns and marketing initiatives; you spot the gap, facilitate an intro (sometimes just because), and pitch a new project without hesitation.
- Dedicated and deadline driven.
- Team-oriented, with the ability to comfortably work independently.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial drive.
- Capable of succeeding in a fast paced and highly flexible environment.
- Excellent decision making and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to us, explaining why you think you’ll be a great fit for the role of Community Manager at Poppy Barley.
We’d also like to see:
- Your personal social media handles on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest etc., and any other accounts you’ve managed in the past.
- 2-3 writing samples (could be copies of published work, links to blog posts you’re proud of, or other relevant material).
- Photography samples, if relevant.
- A list of references relevant to the position.
Send it to all to:
ATTN: Caroline Gault
Director of Content & Community firstname.lastname@example.org
Potential candidates will be contacted directly via email.