Assistant Store Manager, Brand — Calgary
Closing Date: Open
Market Mall, Calgary AB
Store Manager, Market Mall
About Poppy Barley
After a light bulb moment at a custom boot shop in Bali, sisters Justine and Kendall Barber launched Poppy Barley in 2012. They travelled from their home in Edmonton, Canada, to the city of León, Mexico, in search of a leather shoe factory that prioritized its people and could offer flexibility in sizing and inventory through small-batch manufacturing. With teams in Mexico and Canada, Poppy Barley began producing polished, everyday essential footwear and chic, functional accessories for thousands of customers across North America. In the process, Poppy Barley also became the first company in North America to offer custom fashion boots online.
Dedicated to rethinking every step of the leather goods industry, we’re looking for driven, enthusiastic, big-thinkers to take Poppy Barley from good to great—and have a little fun along the way!
As Assistant Manager of Brand, you make magic happen. You impact the business and our communities through merchandising, inspiring connections, people selection, incredible leadership, and outstanding customer experiences. You embody the Poppy Barley brand and culture and take it with you wherever you go. You’re passionate about re-thinking retail to create remarkable brand experiences. You believe in business being a platform to create good in the world.
About What You Do:
- Spend the majority of your time on the retail floor connecting with customers and your team. Lead by example, you coach in the moment and you’re accountable for all areas of customer experience.
- Develop, execute and continuously improve all merchandising activities to ensure the store inspires customers to engage with the brand and products, hits financial expectations and that Poppy Barley merchandising standards are maintained.
- Connect with the community and create inspiring events that drive brand awareness and traffic to store.
- Lead all store-level customer programs including VIP Program, appointments and customer activations.
- Plan the day for customer experience, sales performance, hours management (budget) and success.
- Support the development of a culture that balances financial results, community impact and an execution-focus with a fun, dynamic and creative atmosphere.
- Handle customer cases and resolving cases according to Poppy Barley’s values.
- Oversee the hiring process of store staff including recruitment, interviewing, and onboarding.
- Inspire connections with the Poppy Barley community through shopping parties, events, and appointments. Develop new and creative ways to drive traffic into the stores and build the Poppy Barley customer base.
- Top performer with a proven track record.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with at least 2-3 years experience; preferably in customer-facing field.
- Creativity and an keen eye for detail.
- Passion for building connections with people.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a love for building things from the ground-up.
- Strong self-started who can manage time and priorities.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Google Drive applications.
- Bonuses: Post-secondary degree from University or College or experience working at a fast-growing company.
- Flexibility in availability. Your schedule will include a combination of shift times, including mornings, evenings, and weekends to meet the needs of the business.
- Possibility of some travel to support Poppy Barley store openings, pop-up shops and events.
- Holiday blackout period from mid November to mid January. Exact dates are determined annually.
- Hours expectation: 40 hours per week (5 days
- Unpacking boxes for inventory as required (boxes can weigh up to 30 lbs).
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We thank all applications for taking the time to apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.